" " " A to Z with Meryl and Me: The D scene has arrived and it's Delightful, if I do say so myself! Movie and shoot details.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010

The D scene has arrived and it's Delightful, if I do say so myself! Movie and shoot details.


To set the scene, here's a bit about the movie.  The movie, "Defending Your Life" is an Albert Brooks film.  In it, there is a place where one goes just after they die, in order to defend their life.  They are meant to prove, before a judge and with their own personal attorneys, that they have faced their fears in  life and are prepared to move forward to whatever comes next.  What comes next is never actually determined in the movie but you get the feeling it's something way better than a one way trip back to Earth which, by the way, is the punishment for not defending your life well enough and showing that you've conquered your fears.

Meryl Streep plays Julia, Daniel's (Albert Brooks) love interest in the film.  Her character is kind, warm, loving and very easy going.  She really has conquered most fears in life and in fact, they only found it necessary to review 4 days of her life to make the determination she should move on ... she's ready.  Daniel has to review 9 days!

In the scene that you see here, Daniel and Julia have just visited the Past Lives Pavillion where Julia had the best time but Daniel was too afraid to really enjoy.

In the next couple of days I will write a more detailed credits post to say thanks to all involved.  This was an amazing one. They just keep getting more and more exciting.

Watch and enjoy.  http://www.youtube.com/nancytelzerow

Now, let's talk about the shoot itself. Well, as you know, the location was iffy and very last minute.  I couldn't be happier with the end result though.  I really LOVE what we were able to accomplish yesterday and all with the help of Steve Warner.. Oh YES, thanks sooooooooooooo much Steve!  You rock!  The art gallery, http://www.walleyegallery.com is beautiful.  I loved the art. I loved the location.  I loved the fact that they were gracious enough to allow me in at the very last minute.  Oh the luck, the fortune the wonder of it all!

Then there's Jeff... what a pain in my tookus!  Actually, he was just being himself and again I say, what a pain!  He was his hilarious self.  He was willing to wear a costume made for an elf.  He really gave it his all and had an adorable quality to his performance.  OK, Jeff, if you're reading this, don't let this go to your head ... sheesh, radio stars!  Oh the ego!

Devon shot the scene and his ideas for angles, editing, framing, were absolutely spot on what I wanted!  That dude is starting to read my mind and I love it!  When doing something as collaborative as this is, it's so important to have a short hand way of communication.  We have that and I'm so grateful!  I also told him that considering I have so much to think about; location, actors, costumes, scenes, lines, and the overall production, the fact that he takes over some of it and leaves me out of the crazy worries is a blessing beyond belief.

I'm so grateful to Jeff, Devon and Steve and were there for me yesterday.  You are all amazing.

The shoot itself was pretty good. Becky Burrington provided the choir robes as costumes.  It was like dressing Big Chuck and Little John in the same size suit ... very funny. Jeff was such a trooper.  The traffic was a bit of an issue. Outside the studio is a bus stop and a ton of traffic.  It was a busy time of day and we battled sirens, diesel engines, and even people talking.  The walls were thin but it really didn't matter in the end.  We managed to do enough takes during quiet times that I think the sound is wonderful.

OK, this much writing should be saved for a novel.  You didn't sign on to read War and Peace so I'll sprinkle more information here and there throughout the next couple of days.

1 comments:

Nancy T said...

Thanks Lydia. I'll go there now and check it out. Glad you like the reading!