" " " A to Z with Meryl and Me: dreary and weary

Friday, April 9, 2010

dreary and weary

OK, so every now and then, I get a bit down.  Here's the thing, I've been working like a dog lately.  Well, actually, I'm not sure about dogs and their work ethic so let's say I've been working like a 9 to 5er or maybe that doesn't describe me either since I'm not sure how hard those peeps work.  Well, let's just say, if you can picture me NOT watching any TV or being very social or lounging, then that's what I've been!  I've been to meetings, auditions, and I'm booking a decent amount of work.  So, what's the problem, you ask?  Well, NO ONE is paying me.  I did a print job in January, or should I say, JANUARY, and they still haven't paid me.  I did a live gig last month and they are supposed to pay within 30 days, but nope.  I did an on camera job a while back too and nada.  I have several other examples of this and while I'm appreciative to have been working it would be great to get paid!

Here's what I would do with my big winnings or my paycheck, as it were.  I would pay bills.  I would purchase a computer which I desperately need and I'd throw some money at my project.  You know shoots cost money even when they're free.  Don't make me explain that.  Truth is I like to at least take people out for food or a thank you lunch here and there.

OH well, I'll be OK.  I really should send my tax documents to my wonderful accountant, my refund would probably come faster than these overdue amounts!  Wow, I don't mean to sound like Wendy the whiner but sheesh!

So, there comes a price with following your dream and working at the job you love, sometimes that price is a forlorn look at the mailbox and a wish for a windfall.  I still am so very grateful for all that I have and I do have a lot of work scheduled in the near future including: 2 commercials, 1 business meeting (paid), and of course the shooting of the "E" scene.  I just wish I knew who would be on the other side of the camera so I could stop worrying.  Yikes, I promise not to be so icky tomorrow.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's good to see all sides of a situation. I think you're readers enjoy that you're a real person who has real worries. No one can have everything go right all the time ;)