" " " A to Z with Meryl and Me: Day By Day

Monday, December 6, 2010

Day By Day

I'm going to try and let you know about my recent days in a short and concise manner. I say this in my opening statement to see if I can accomplish this.

About the Edit
First I must express my sincere gratitude to Greg Del Torto and Spencer Jay Kim for making it work with very little resources. I told Jay it was like making a phone call with a tin can and a string. Call me spoiled but since this project began I've only worked directly with Final Cut Pro and AVID editing software. Two other times I believe it was a Sony system but I didn't directly have involvement there. With that said, I am a huge fan of these two systems and certainly have faith in the third. Now, as we were at the Zoo ... yes, the Zoo, editing the T scene, if I may quote Greg, "Final Cut is up here (gestures above his head) and this system is down here (gestures to his knees) and then you have a bunch of other systems in between." I didn't gasp, but I wanted to, and how! Just getting started seemed a bit of a challenge but fast forward to Jay just taking over and eventually teaching everyone a bit more about the system, he discovered that it was lacking some essential elements. Making do was what had to be done. I could go on and on but let's say this, Greg was at work just for ME and my project and was so gracious in offering what he had despite begin exhausted and hungry. Jay was making a gourmet meal with crackers and ramen noodles. They were truly amazing and completely generous.

That was Saturday until about 8 PM. It then dawned on me that I have a Sunday, all day shoot for Volkswagen and I needed to learn those scripts, all 12 of them. I was so fried, lacked focus, and tired but I spent time learning my lines and with Jay's help and patience got through them. Sure, I was slap happy and ad-libbing some pretty funny material but it got done. I went to bed and set my alarm for 6 AM so I could pack, figure out my wardrobe, learn lines and drive to North Olmsted by 9 AM. I awoke at 5 AM. This I've learned. If I have work to do, where I need to be perfect, with it, put together, I probably won't sleep much. Oh crap.

Sunday's shoot
Did the above, got to the job 15 minutes before call time. Did the work. Knocked it out of the park. Helped the other actors when I could and did my best to contribute in every way. I really love the team I was working with and this isn't my first job with them. They are like a family and I'm now feeling very much like a cousin, at the very least. I'm working my way up to sister. I hope this means more work for me and I truly feel it does. I even took one for the team and didn't eat my meal (union gig, had it coming to me) in the spirit of keeping things rolling. Boy was I hungry after that, oh, and tired!

Sunday Night
Went to The Jimmy's. Ate. Thank God. Ate some more. And did I mention, I ate? I also was seated the majority of the time, as was crucial. I come from a long line of sitters. Then it was time to be on the other side of the camera. I took stills of Jonathan and Jimmy and shot video of them singing some of their songs. They were great and we will have lots to use to further advertise Jonny and His Dad, their band.

Monday Morning
Got the call about my work on the VW shoot ... all fabulous news. Heard from Joe T, the man who hired me to teach at BW. I think we have an editing suite now for the U scene, which Jay will be shooting and editing. Joe also talked to me about again teaching for BW. They appear to want me back ... didn't see that coming. I took this past semester off due to a scheduling conflict that didn't end up being a conflict ... remember Nissan? So, editing suite, future work and maybe even a student PA for my next shoot. It was a great call!

Now I sit and blog to you. I will then go for tea with Ilona Simon of Budapest Blonde. She wanted to meet with me because she has a present for me to say thanks for the product placement. She wants to thank ME! She provided all of the table dressings, brought her tremendous Budapest Blonde product, set the table, refilled the glasses, babysat the dog while we were shooting and she wants to thank ME! Isn't life grand?

I wonder what Meryl Streep's weekend was like? Hmm, perhaps she should call me and we could chat about it all.

One more thing, I received an email while shooting for Jimmy and Jonathan that said some people cannot hear my T scene. I was crushed. As you can tell, I was absolutely exhausted and hearing that was a real blow. With that said, many can hear it and I'm going with the majority. I just have to move on and really don't want to deal with it anymore. So, if you're a person struggling with the sound, try another computer and let me know if it's still an issue. I have heard from too many that it works.

0 comments: