" " " A to Z with Meryl and Me: The day I was Amish

Thursday, December 30, 2010

The day I was Amish

Yesterday I was at The Reel Thing doing my usual: working on my computer, making important phone calls and bugging The Jimmy. He left for the day and there I sat until I had to run outside to see a friend for a minute. That was one of the longest minutes of my life. I locked myself out of the office. It happened to be around five pm and there were only a few cars in the driveway. Being resourceful,I went to the side door of the building but couldn't bypass the doors to get to The Reel Thing's back entrance. I began calling every other business in the building to see who was still around, no one answered. I used the security phone because my phone and computer were locked inside with my keys, hence the Amish thing. It dawned on me that one man might be in the neighboring office. He was and Ray was sweet enough to let me in so I could use his computer to contact people. My three targets were Petey, Tony and The Jimmy. I really hoped to reach Petey or Tony but I had a hard time finding their numbers. Remember when we memorized phone numbers? Me neither. I asked for the white pages but Ray looked at me like I had a third eye, pretty sure no one would have been listed anyway. I sent Tony and Dev (since he knows Tony) Facebook messages. I posted a status update including some info in code in case Jimmy might see it. I called Jimmy on his cell but knew it would be on silent or off. Ray began calling locksmiths. 65 bucks for my own stupidity seemed absurd. I finally talked Ray into leaving assuring him I would be fine. It wasn't easy to get him to go but I couldn't leave the scene of the crime. I was there with my friend in the hallway but eventually I talked him into leaving as well. He wanted to drive me home but that was a bad idea for several reasons. I didn't have the three keys necessary to get in at home. My superintendent is never around. My phone and computer were in the desk with the light on high for all to see and I was sure I would get in trouble. I knew Jimmy had to work in the morning so my wait couldn't be longer than 17 hours. Having Cassie took 33 hours and this wouldn't even hurt.  There I go again with my Math.  Well, that was my logic although no one agreed with me.

So now I was alone in the hallway with my coat, hat and 3 mints in my pocket. I was set. After all I wasn't outside. I had been snacking on some nuts so I wasn't too hungry and I didn't have to pee unless I thought about it. Speaking of peeing, had I done that earlier I might have left the side door unlocked. Did I mention Ray had offered to climb through a vent to get inside?  We couldn't find any ... shucks!

While in the hallway I did the following:
- Fixed the welcome mats
- Pulled a picture nail out of the wall
- Contemplated a new wall color
- Realized I had 3 whole mints so I was fine on food
- Found that if I held my lip gloss tightly my hand was warmer in my pocket
- Thought about Tony's daughter who just got her temps, got teary eyed
- Paced the entire time thinking maybe this could result in shapely legs if I did that all night
- Was grateful that I happened to have my coat on (sometimes being a freeze baby comes in handy)
- Began wishing I had a change of clothes and toothbrush for the next day
- Thought about having to pee again and decided I would NOT be peeing in the driveway
- Glanced outside while pacing in hopes that someone got my cryptic messages
- Thought about A to Z and what it means to me
- Looked up to see The Jimmy pulling in to save me! He was a knight on his white horse aka white Subaru!

He let me into the office which felt like a sauna, guess I was colder than I thought. He said my email to him should have been more specific.

Here's what I wrote, notice the typos ... guess I was a bit nervous ...

Could y9u call petey and see if he's downtown.  If so, tell him to come to the reel thing.  I need something.

Meanwhile, when Jimmy let me in, I finally could see that yes I had actually received calls from Devon, Tony, Jimmy, Jay and text messages, facebook messages, the world coming to my rescue.

When I was explaining to my friend that I would be OK and someone would come and get me, it was a certainty.  I just knew it.  Had Jimmy not arrived, one of those others would have, well maybe not Jay but give him enough time, and yes, he would have come in from Chicago to save me.

I'm the luckiest Amish girl in town.  OK, so I didn't have a buggy or a flouncy skirt but I was wearing a hat, very little make up and had zero electronics.  Who needs a buggy?! Rescue time was 8:15 PM

0 comments: