" " " A to Z with Meryl and Me: Special Thanks for the R Scene!

Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Special Thanks for the R Scene!

A while back I released two scenes together.  One a comedy, one more of an action piece but both had a large group of contributors who made it all possible.  Grab a cup of whatever you like to drink, get comfy in your chair, kick your legs up because I'm about to launch into one HUGE thank you to the folks who made The River Wild possible.

The River Wild Thanks

There were two Directors of Photography for this scene.  Let's begin with Brian Zaczek.  He, alone, went to a local Metroparks site and grabbed the necessary footage for the backgrounds.  Of course you can't tell by looking at the scene but while none of us got wet, Brian sure did. He was dedicated to getting the perfect footage and actually went under water, while saving his phone and other equipment.  That's not all.  After we shot in the studio, Brian decided he wanted to re-shoot the background.  Why?  Because while he could have used what he already shot, he wanted the best and knew he could grab even better. The Result?  He was near the water and we all remained dry and able to do our work.  That's the point after all, isn't it?  When you hire crew, you want them to take the initiative and get things done.  That's what Brian did.  He and his partner also shot the K scene, remember?  They helped me at the 11th hour make that scene a reality and did the same for this one!  To reach him for work, email him at bzaczek@rareformdigital.com.  Rare Form Digital is a new business ready to break out and work for you!

Andrew Gardner was the D.P on the main shoot in the studio.  Andrew drove over an hour just to be there and assist in any way he could.  That's Andy.  He contacted the folks at Rare Form Digital and was at Creative House Studios before I was!  Throughout the entire process it was like he was right next door willing to lend a helping hand.  You would never know he was really more than an hour away.  Andy's first concern is the client.  He's all about customer service and I so appreciate that every time I work with him.  You will too.  He was the D.P. on both the J and O scenes and he is an excellent partner!  To hire him for your next shoot, email andy@ee.

Matt Contorno was our Sound Engineer. He is partners with Brian at Rare Form Digital.  Matt not only was there to grab all of our dialogue but added the necessary background noises to make the scene believable.  After all, how do you make a bunch of people on a raft in a studio sound like they are on a river?  Ask Matt ... he can tell you.  Not only did he do all that listening work but when I had requests for different or additional noises in the background he was more than accommodating.  So every water noise, bird sound and voice is all because of Matt.  I met Matt years ago when working on an industrial piece.  He was great to work with then and I'm glad we've kept in contact.  He too, came to my rescue for the K scene so you can hear his work there as well.  To hire Matt for your next sound gig or for any production work contact him at his place of business mcontorno@rareformdigital.com.  As a side note, Matt has another passion and that's music.  Visit his website http://www.biginjapanband.com to check him out! 

LOCATION!  Wow!  I was oh so excited to have the opportunity to shoot at Creative House Studios.  Peter Sampson is the owner and between him and Cynthia Graham, you really get the red carpet treatment.  Here's how it all started. A friend of mine introduced me to Peter and Cynthia at the Cleveland Film Commissioner's mixer and as we got to talking and you know how I can get to talking, Peter high-fived me and said he wanted to shoot a scene at his Studio.  Coincidentally I had just heard all about his studio.  You know how that works, one person says something you've never heard before and then EVERYONE says it or you see it everywhere?  That's what happened with me and Creative House Studios.  Here's the link to their site because I cannot do it a justice http://www.creativehousestudios.com/  Besides the fact that the studio is set up for you to bring your own gear, crew and shoot it yourself it's also got the perfect feeling of collaboration.  They're not just leaving you blowing in the wind trying to figure it all out.  Peter is there to consult with you every step of the way as he did with me.  They have dressing rooms, a beautiful kitchen .. it really feels like a home away from home which is great when working long hours.  Their professionalism was just what I always hope to find in any business situation.  They are located at 1419 E. 40th street in Cleveland, OH.  Go to their website and book your next shoot!  You'll love it!

Then there were my actors ... some professional, a couple not but all wonderfully helpful and down for the cause!

Fred Gloor played Wade and did an excellent job bringing that character to life.  Fred is a member of SAG, AFTRA and Equity. I met Fred years ago doing murder mysteries.  He was one of the actors who had a heavy improvisational background.  He has been a member of Second City and has done countless voice overs, industrial films and can be seen on stage too!  Currently he teaches at Tri-C and those kids don't know how lucky they are to have someone so experienced and passionate teaching them their craft.  Fred is currently directing a scene for Dobama's playwrights gym and acting as the Faculty Advisor for the student showcase at Tri-C. It was a pleasure working with Fred and I applaud him for bringing so much to such a quick on screen moment.  To reach him for work email him at fred.gloor@tri-c.edu.

John Kolibab, a member of AFTRA and Actor's Equity, played Terry and may not have said one single word but this guy was awesome.  I loved his subtle expressions and nuances that he brought to the sidekick role he played.  Here's the thing, John has done numerous on stage performances.  What he brings to his every character on stage is a level of truth that everyone hopes to experience when seeing a play. I had no idea what to expect of him on camera but he did all I thought and more.  Sometimes it's so much harder to say nothing at all then it is to talk ad nauseum.  John did it with style.  To contact him for work email John at rotciv1313@aol.com.

Michael Williams played the role of Tom Hartman.  His son Ian Williams played the role of Roarke Hartman.  I met Mick when I was 16 at a job interview.  Playing the role of the interviewer was Mick himself and he hired me!  It was my first job ever, aside from babysitting and I've known him ever since.  He truly has always treated me like family.  I even babysat for all of his kids at one time or another, including Ian.  Asking Mick to do me the favor of sitting in a raft in a studio with his hands and ankles tied was just that type of odd question he would expect from me.  We've known each other for so long, he would help me slay a dragon if he had to but what I wasn't sure about was if he could talk his son, Ian, into being on camera with us.  Ian gladly rehearsed his line over and over again in many accents and the two came prepared to help on and off set.  Mick set up the raft at the studio with his handy assistant, Ian, and they quickly proved to be wonderful production assistants.  They were there for every take and did exactly what was required of them for their roles, like old pros.  I truly appreciate their being there.  It was nice to have family on set with me.

Technical Support was once again, Terri Negron.  To contact her for work email her at terri@fengshui5.com.  Terri's support goes far beyond the website, blog, facebook, pictures, videos, and other postings she provides.  She's also there for me emotionally and is my very own cheerleader in my corner at all times.  She can be in your corner too and you'll love having her there.

Special Thanks go to:

Dianne Palmer for THE RAFT ... for Pete's sake!  She provided us with the raft and then gave it to us to boot!  I quickly said Mick could take it for his family and then Dianne threw in some life preservers and whatever else she could find to help us.  She was very accommodating and my best guess is that her history as a performer is what kept her so aware of what every production needs.  To learn more about Dianne, visit her website at http://www.voicewerx.biz/

Bob Stefanov was the guy who connected me to Rare Form Digital and was there consulting for the entire production of River Wild.  Bob works freelance as a producer and director. I've had the pleasure to work with him a good number of times and the experience is always A-1.  He has his own business, Bob Stefanov Productions, to contact Bob for work email him at bob.stefanov@gmail.com.

Peter Sampson and Cynthia Graham need just one more mention.  Here's what I love about their work ethic.  At this point, their business has taken off and people are coming to their studio in droves, yet they have time for the little guy.  Insert picture of me, very little.  The idea is they are there to creatively support your endeavors and they truly were there for me.

My only regret about this scene is that it was released at the exact same time as She Devil so it didn't get quite as much airplay as I would have liked.  For that reason, here's the link to that wild and wooly scene that truly was a collaboration by many. http://www.youtube.com/nancytelzerow#p/f/3/boieC-71eZY   Please pass it on to your peeps. Thanks to all involved from the bottom of my raft!

0 comments: