" " " A to Z with Meryl and Me: Special thanks for the T Scene!

Thursday, February 10, 2011

Special thanks for the T Scene!

Today I'm posting twice.  There are so many people to thank and although I'm creeping up on the Z, I'm all the way back to T in my thanks.  Do you remember the Heartburn scene?  It wasn't the funnest scene to watch. Let's face it, a pregnant woman finds out her husband's cheating on her and her world comes crumbling around her, well, isn't one of my pick me up scenes but nevertheless, it was an honor to play Nora Ephron.  Nora has written some of my favorite films including Silkwood, Sleepless in Seattle, You've Got Mail and Julia and Julia.  Is it any wonder why I admire her so?  Now, if you're not into chick flicks and I certainly wouldn't call Silkwood a chick flick, she's written way more than what I show here but her work makes me laugh, cry and think.  What more could a person ask for when watching a film.  So Nora, if you stumble across this blog, I just want you to know that I've seen many of your films and read two of your books and I think I just may love you.  No, I don't want to date you nor do I even need to call you and tell you about my laundry but I do love you nonetheless.  I think you're funny, smart and damn entertaining.  With that said, I hope you don't mind that me and my cohorts acted out a scene from your semi autobiographical story, Heartburn.  I hope I did it justice and although I'm no Meryl, I was just trying to be you for the moment.

Heartburn was shot and edited by Spencer Jay Kim.  This was an interesting one.  Jay has never claimed to be a shooter per se or even the world's best editor but it was good to have a friend behind the camera while I cried for two hours straight. It's a shame you can't see the tears pouring down my face but they were and Jay was mindful of that fact and made it easy on me.  He was patient and thoughtful and ever so conscientious about just how tough this subject matter was which is why we captured a lot of gold.  Jay writes his own films.  He's quite the writer and he composes the music as well. I'm going to have to ask him to send me a link to some of his scores so I can let you hear them.  They are beautiful, oh so cinematic and his contribution to A to Z has been that too ... quite beautiful.  To hire Jay as an actor, director or composer, email him at jkimgant@hotmail.com.

Mark Forman was played by Jeremy Kendall.  I met Jeremy while working for Travel Centers of America on a corporate video shoot.  I then worked with him in the film, Lilith.  This however, was the first time that we actually were in a scene together.  Yep, the third time playing husband and wife and yet it took an A to Z scene to get us actually in the same room.  Originally we talked about him playing the Robert Redford part in Out of Africa but when I scrapped the idea of doing another big scale scene, we went for simple and heart wrenching.  I've said it before but it's worth repeating, being quiet, just listening and reacting in a scene can be tougher than being the with all the lines.  Sure there's less to memorize but you have to fill out the other half of the moment with a lot less to work with and get this ...  Jeremy's reactions made me better.  That's what always happens when you have a partner who really brings it, their performance elevates yours.  Now, you may not think I was all that in this particular scene but Jeremy WAS and I was so grateful and honored to finally play opposite him. To contact Jeremy for work email him at jeremykendall70@gmail.com or go to his website at http://www.bigredactor.com.

The Camera and Editing Suite were provided by Greg Del Torto.  Greg was the actor in the A scene ... wow, remember that one?  It all began with Greg on the other end of the phone. Well, once again, we called Greg and he was there for us, ready to help out in a moment's notice.  To contact Greg for work email him at gregorydeltorto@att.net.  He's an awesome person to have in your corner.

Location was provided by Woodie Anderson.  Woodie, oh Woodie, the provider of so many wondrous elements to the A to Z project.  When I mentioned the look and room and I needed, he was right there letting me know that he had just the spot for our scene. It was perfect and although I know I use that word a lot it's because it was ... perfect.  A great many thanks are owed to Woodie.  Woodie is a magician, MC, singer and actor. By the way, I mean a literal magician not just one who magically comes up with solutions. To contact him for work, email him at woodieand@aol.com.

Terri Negron has been my Technical Support but to be perfectly honest she's been my emotional support as well.  She has been in my corner since I had my first A to Z inkling.  She's a doll.  I cannot say enough about her speedy assistance and attentiveness to my project.  To work with her, email her at terri@fengshui5.com

Special thanks go to Anderson Industries http://www.multipleproducts.com, and
The Reel Thing http://www.thereelthing.com.

0 comments: