" " " A to Z with Meryl and Me: Up to date posting

Sunday, February 13, 2011

Up to date posting

It just crossed my mind, amongst 17 other thoughts, a dress I made years ago.  I was doing a Murder Mystery weekend and there was always a formal night on Saturday.  My character was a flashy, fashion forward person (imagine that) and I decided to make a dress.  Do I sew?  Well, buttons and holes but not really.  Do I use a sewing machine?  NOPE.  Can I make a pattern?  Who needs one, I say.  But there I was making a dress and it all started with a bra. Yes, a bra.  It was the 80s and sequins were big.  I took a black strapless bra and sewed on individual sequins over the entire surface.  Now it was a colorful disco ball of bra but could I stop there?  NO, not me.  I decided it would be the perfect top to a strapless gown.  The bottom of it should be black velvet and all I  had to do was go to the fabric store and sew it to the bottom of the bra, right?  So, I went to the store, pulled a huge bolt of black velvet, turned it on it's side, rolled into it and told the lady to cut there.  Yes, there, right where the bolt completed it's 360 around my body.  Again with no pattern in mind, I sewed it onto the bottom of the bra, by hand of course and it looked lovely until you got to the part where a closure was necessary, on the left side of my body.  I decided that was the perfect spot for a long slit and then proceeded to sew snaps down the upper part of the bodice.  I then took some trim that I had bought for my furniture on another creative whim and sewed it down the side around the top where the fabric meets the bra.  This trim was to be the white out on the document of crazy.  The end result?  From one side, I was the most glamorous, put together sparkly fashionista and on the other side, I had to paste my arm  to cover the crooked seam and the slit that was way too high.

Why do I tell this story?  It does summarize who I am.  One one side, it's all polish and looks effortless and on the other the seams are falling apart and there is an arm glued to the seam covering it's faulty tracks.  That's how I handled A to Z with Meryl and Me.  So when you see the final scene and you notice my hair flopping all around, just know that I MADE that wig with bobbi pins and a prayer and I hope you can look around it, after of course your initial belly laugh, to see the location, costumes, performances by all.

0 comments: